small PL/R problem - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Robert Stone
Subject small PL/R problem
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
        In the plr package (version 1:8.3.0.15-3.pgdg10.4+1) it seems
like the debian/postinst file is not making it into the .deb files and
that has caused a bug fix by version 1:8.3.0.8-2 to resurface.  The
runtime linker is unable to find libR.so.

        To recover the postinst script, I had success adding:

    override_dh_installdeb:
            for i in `pg_buildext supported-versions` ; \
            do cp debian/postinst debian/postgresql-$$i-plr.postinst ; \
            done
            dh_installdeb

to the debian/rules file.  I also noticed that there is no corresponding
postrm to undo the effects of the postinst script.

        There are certainly other ways to solve this linking issue,
adding an rpath to plr.so seems reasonable.  This could be done by
adding "-Wl,-rpath$(r_libdir2x)" to the SHLIB_LINK value in the
Makefile at the cost of trigging a "binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath"
lintian warning during Debian package builds.  It seems like Debian's
general stance against rpaths may not be applicable in this case.

        http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt#Bugs sent me here.  I've
been working with postgresql-9.0-plr version 1:8.3.0.15-3.pgdg10.4+1,
though this seems to also be present with the latest version
1:8.3.0.15-3~12.git3cb079c.pgdg10.4+1.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Robert Stone