Re: pgsql: Throw error for ALTER TABLE RESET of an invalid option - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: Throw error for ALTER TABLE RESET of an invalid option
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:30:53PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-08-25 21:06:43 +0000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Throw error for ALTER TABLE RESET of an invalid option
> >
> > Also adjust pg_upgrade to not use this method for optional TOAST table
> > creation.
> >
> > Patch by Fabrízio de Royes Mello
>
> I still think this is a bad idea and should rather be reverted.

Uh, which idea don't you like.  I thought the discussion had a clear
conclusion.

The only comment I see from you on the thread is:

> Why not simply not do anything?  This doesn't prevent any bugs and
> requiring pg-upgrade specific checks in there seems absurd. Also
> somebody might use it for similar purposes.

but it seems most people says it should throw an error, the strongest
argument being the RESET throws an error for an invalid setting.

Is there something you want to re-discuss, or are you just re-stating
your objection, and if so, for what purpose --- you have not added any
additional information for people to think about.

  + Everyone has their own god. +