Re: Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-08-22 10:41:55 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2014-08-21 15:25:44 +0000, Baker, Keith [OCDUS Non-J&J] wrote:
> > > About SA_RESTART:
> > > ------------------------
> > > I would like to offer you a different perspective which may alter your current opinion.
> > > I believe the port.h QNX macro replacement for SA_RESTART is still a reasonable solution on QNX for these
reasons:

> > > First, I think it is better to adapt PostgreSQL to suit the platform
> > > than to adapt the platform to suit PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Well. That might be somewhat true for a popular platform. Which QNX
> > really isn't. I personally don't believe your approach to be likely to
> > end up with a correct and maintainable port.
> >
> > > Changing default behavior of libc on QNX to suit PostgreSQL may break
> > > other applications which rely on the current behavior of libc.
> >
> > I don't see how *adding* SA_RESTART support which would only be used
> > when SA_RESTART is being passed to sigaction(), would do that.
>
> I guess the important question here is how much traction does Keith have
> with the QNX development group.

If you search for SA_RESTART and QNX there's a fair number of bugs
cropping up where it leads to problems... I think a large amount of open
source software essentially relies on it these days.

Note that it doesn't necessarily need to be implemented inside QNX. It
could very well be a wrapper library that you would optionally link
against. That'd benefit more users than just postgres on QNX.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services