Re: event triggers in 9.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: event triggers in 9.3.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Vasudevan, Ramya wrote:
> >> You could compare list of tables before (_start) and after (_end) the ddl. Doing it in plpgsql will be tricky, but
ifyou'd use some other language - like plperl - it's relatively simple:
http://www.depesz.com/2013/12/18/waiting-for-9-4-plperl-add-event-trigger-support/
> Thank You Depesz.  This will work for ‘CREATE’ and ‘DROP’ DDLs.
>
> But, what about the scenario where I want to just have event triggers for operations like these? - 'ALTER
TABLE','ALTERTRIGGER', 'ALTER FUNCTION'
> CREATE EVENT TRIGGER log_ddl_info_start
> ON
> ddl_command_start
> when
> tag in
> ('ALTER TABLE','ALTER TRIGGER','CREATE FUNCTION','ALTER FUNCTION')
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE
> log_ddl_execution();
>
> In this case, is there a way to capture the object that was altered?

Not yet, but there's a patch in progress to help with this.  If you're
interested in the feature, please give the patch a try and see if the
user interface it provides solves your use case.  We want to ensure that
the new feature we're creating is useful.

You can find the patch here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140613203156.GR18688@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org
(there are lots of small patches to ease review, so please grab them all
and apply one by one) and a sample event trigger function (there are no
docs yet) here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140115051111.GB29105@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org

Thanks,