Re: [RFC] Should smgrtruncate() avoid sending sinval message for temp relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] Should smgrtruncate() avoid sending sinval message for temp relations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-07-24 11:17:15 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think you might be approaching this problem from the wrong end,
> though.

Yep.

>  The question in my mind is: why does the
> StartTransactionCommand() / CommitTransactionCommand() pair in
> ProcessCatchupEvent() end up writing a commit record?  The obvious
> possibility that occurs to me is that maybe rereading the invalidated
> catalog entries causes a HOT prune, and maybe there ought to be some
> way for a transaction that has only done HOT pruning to commit
> asynchronously, just as we already do for transactions that only
> modify temporary tables.  Or, failing that, maybe there's a way to
> suppress synchronous commit for this particular transaction.

I think we should do what the first paragraph in
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20140707155113.GB1136%40alap3.anarazel.de
outlined. As Tom says somewhere downthread that requires some code
review, but other than that it should get rid of a fair amount of
problems.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services