Re: [bug fix] Suppress "autovacuum: found orphan temp table" message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [bug fix] Suppress "autovacuum: found orphan temp table" message
Date
Re: [bug fix] Suppress "autovacuum: found orphan temp table" message  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-07-22 19:13:56 +0900, MauMau wrote:
> From: "Andres Freund" <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
> >On 2014-07-22 17:05:22 +0900, MauMau wrote:
> >>RemovePgTempFiles() frees the disk space by removing temp relation files
> >>at
> >>server start.
> >
> >But it's not called during a crash restart.
>
> Yes, the comment of the function says:
>
> * NOTE: we could, but don't, call this during a post-backend-crash restart
> * cycle.  The argument for not doing it is that someone might want to
> examine
> * the temp files for debugging purposes.  This does however mean that
> * OpenTemporaryFile had better allow for collision with an existing temp
> * file name.
>
> But this is true if restart_after_crash = on in postgresql.conf, because the
> crash restart only occurs in that case.  However, in HA cluster, whether it
> is shared-disk or replication, restart_after_crash is set to off, isn't it?

In almost all setups I've seen it's set to on, even in HA scenarios.

> Moreover, as the comment says, the behavior of keeping leftover temp files
> is for debugging by developers.  It's not helpful for users, isn't it?  I
> thought messages of DEBUG level is more appropriate, because the behavior is
> for debugging purposes.

GRR. That doesn't change the fact that there'll be files left over after
a crash restart.

> Yes, so nobody can convince serious customers that the current behavior
> makes real sense.

I think you're making lots of noise over a trivial log message.

> Could you please reconsider this?

No. Just removing a warning isn't the way to solve this. If you want to
improve things you'll actually need to improve things not just stick
your head into the sand.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services