== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 20 2014 == - Mailing list pgsql-announce

From David Fetter
Subject == PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 20 2014 ==
Date
List pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 20 2014 ==

The start of pgMKE will be August 5, 2014 in Milwaukee, WI, USA.
RSVP to help ensure the right amount of pizza.
https://plus.google.com/events/c7iba3eh9366v3hki7etcbj2074

== PostgreSQL Jobs for July ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2014-07/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PgDay Portland, Oregon 2014 will be held Saturday September 6, 2014.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PDXPUGDay2014

Postgres Open 2014 will be in Chicago, IL, USA, September 17-19.
Tickets and Tutorials now available for purchase.
https://postgresopen.org/2014/tickets/
http://postgresopen.org/2014/callforpapers/

The 4th PgDay Ecuador will be held on Tuesday 7th in October at the
city of Quito, as part of the 5th International Congress of Free
Software.  Send talk proposals to ecpug AT postgresql DOT org.

The sixth PGDay Cubano be held on 13 and 14 October 2014 in Habana.
https://postgresql.uci.cu/?p=380

PGConf.EU 2014 in Madrid, Spain on October 21-24 is now open for
registration.
http://2014.pgconf.eu/registration/

PGDay.IT 2014 will take place in Prato on November the 7th 2014.  The
International Call For Papers is now open:
http://2014.pgday.it/call-for-papers-en/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david@fetter.org, German language
to pwn@pgug.de, Italian language to pwn@itpug.org.  Spanish language
to pwn@arpug.com.ar.

== Applied Patches ==

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Remove incorrect comment from postgres_fdw.c.  Etsuro Fujita
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ab774859456eb441ef049bf66af38b259cbdacce

- Prevent bitmap heap scans from showing unnecessary block info in
  EXPLAIN ANALYZE.  EXPLAIN ANALYZE shows the information of the
  numbers of exact/lossy blocks which bitmap heap scan processes. But,
  previously, when those numbers were both zero, it displayed only the
  prefix "Heap Blocks:" in TEXT output format.  This is strange and
  would confuse the users. So this commit suppresses such unnecessary
  information.  Backpatch to 9.4 where EXPLAIN ANALYZE was changed so
  that such information was displayed.  Etsuro Fujita
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4635b16fe3d0fae65d7735d9e926a1b20a90781

Noah Misch pushed:

- MSVC: Apply icons to all binaries having them in a MinGW build.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c4a448eb55f35a7f582e30d15ee0ea10b67b70a2

- MSVC: Process Makefile line continuations more like "make" does.
  Unlike "make" itself, the MSVC build process recognized a
  continuation even with whitespace after the backslash.  (Due to a
  typo, some code sites accepted the letter "s" instead of
  whitespace).  Also, it would consume any number of newlines
  following a single backslash.  This is mere cleanup; those behaviors
  were unlikely to cause bugs.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/35d19a9a37c245ff7c640743f37b8df227fd24dc

- MSVC: Recognize PGFILEDESC in contrib and conversion_procs modules.
  Achieve this by consistently using four-argument
  Solution::AddProject() calls.  Remove ad hoc Makefile parsing made
  redundant by doing that.  Michael Paquier and Noah Misch, reviewed
  by MauMau.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/91f03ba5cf88b393bf2509f3f00dd00437a5bd54

- Add file version information to most installed Windows binaries.
  Prominent binaries already had this metadata.  A handful of minor
  binaries, such as pg_regress.exe, still lack it; efforts to
  eliminate such exceptions are welcome.  Michael Paquier, reviewed by
  MauMau.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0ffc201a51395ca71fe429ef86c872850a5850ee

- Fix warnings added in 8d9a0e85bd6ab4fe5268a1d759a787f72ff9333e.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/52be3aae5bfe84346b7ce202eae3447a07dfc882

- contrib/test_decoding/Makefile sets MODULES, so omit OBJS.  Michael
  Paquier
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c0e8fb6148ce9c539f6fbde71faa955cab85f214

- Limit pg_upgrade authentication advice to always-secure techniques.
  ~/.pgpass is a sound choice everywhere, and "peer" authentication is
  safe on every platform it supports.  Cease to recommend "trust"
  authentication, the safety of which is deeply
  configuration-specific.  Back-patch to 9.0, where pg_upgrade was
  introduced.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/85f95739ec0c2d9c6afb10d9a0b42732191fbbde

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- doc: small fixes for REINDEX reference page From: Josh Kupershmidt
  <schmiddy@gmail.com>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f162fb75b329bc5370b3ece59f5ef0d5ba0f15d6

- Add missing serial commas.  Also update one place where the
  wal_level "logical" was not added to an error message.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d38228fe4029cce3af396bf5b1728d8000ab32c8

- Small spelling fix
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d90ad5d8abe7947520686239a7547f2eb8cc9a8d

- Add missing source files to nls.mk.  These are files under common/
  that have been moved around.  Updating these manually is not
  satisfactory, but it's the only solution at the moment.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f9ddcf75430467493aa6c2b07a45776e4ae8b416

- doc: Put new options in right order on reference pages
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9a218c02b8f10bc5aa3a9227b0a30ad0b6bdf6a6

- pg_basebackup: Add more information about --max-rate option to help
  output.  It was previously not clear what unit the option argument
  should have.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e806da6bdbe9544e061b635f33b8ee561094b4d0

- pg_upgrade: Fix spacing in help output
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e0da6ec618a3890d7d5d8b8342645e6683848d67

- doc: Spell checking
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/aa688725615a4fb55c460f072fb144900a59582d

- Replace "internationalize" with "localize" where appropriate
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2ee4efc4081e0487d70607ca0d0d4abdbb85106f

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Remove dependency on wsock32.lib in favor of ws2_32.  ws2_32 is the
  new version of the library that should be used, as it contains the
  require functionality from wsock32 as well as some more (which is
  why some binaries were already using ws2_32).  Michael Paquier,
  reviewed by MauMau
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a16bac36eca8158cbf78987e95376f610095f792

- Include SSL compression status in psql banner and connection
  logging.  Both the psql banner and the connection logging already
  included SSL status, cipher and bitlength, this adds the information
  about compression being on or off.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c93bf8c6ccf7ef1cec6b01fec1888f84831295ee

- Detect presence of SSL_get_current_compression.  Apparently we still
  build against OpenSSL so old that it doesn't have this function, so
  add an autoconf check for it to make the buildfarm happy. If the
  function doesn't exist, always return that compression is disabled,
  since presumably the actual compression functionality is always
  missing.  For now, hardcode the function as present on MSVC, since
  we should hopefully be well beyond those old versions on that
  platform.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c9e1ad7faf75aeda633e27ba6c042dabe4aa353d

- Move check for SSL_get_current_compression to run on mingw.  Mingw
  uses a different header file than msvc, so we don't get the
  hardcoded value, so we need the configure test to run.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5571caf42d62ea30c452b0ae5f1748289ae613b4

- Add option to pg_ctl to choose event source for logging.  pg_ctl
  will log to the Windows event log when it is running as a service,
  which is the primary way of running PostgreSQL on Windows. This
  option makes it possible to specify which event source to use for
  this, in order to separate different instances. The server logging
  itself is still controlled by the regular logging parameters,
  including a separate setting for the event source. The parameter to
  pg_ctl only controlls the logging from pg_ctl itself.  MauMau,
  review in many iterations by Amit Kapila and me.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c0e4520b1667279389bb0dce8d867df2ac25042a

- Revert broken change to pgevent.c.  pgevent doesn't include the
  global PostgreSQL headers, for a reason, and therefor cannot rely on
  defines in it...
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6cd471a6d46b463e5222e5bb2d859311ddc1d86a

Alvaro Herrera pushed:

- psql: Show tablespace size in \db+.  Fabrízio de Royes Mello
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ee80f043bc9b92dbbb1ff9577c3c601746124092

- Move view reloptions into their own varlena struct.  Per discussion
  after a gripe from me in
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140611194633.GH18688@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org
  Jaime Casanova
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/346d7be184a617ca9f64bdf5c25fd6bcd5231293

- Fix REASSIGN OWNED for text search objects.  Trying to reassign
  objects owned by a user that had text search dictionaries or
  configurations used to fail with: ERROR:  unexpected classid 3600 or
  ERROR:  unexpected classid 3602 Fix by adding cases for those object
  types in a switch in pg_shdepend.c.  Both REASSIGN OWNED and text
  search objects go back all the way to 8.1, so backpatch to all
  supported branches.  In 9.3 the alter-owner code was made generic,
  so the required change in recent branches is pretty simple; however,
  for 9.2 and older ones we need some additional reshuffling to enable
  specifying objects by OID rather than name.  Text search templates
  and parsers are not owned objects, so there's no change required for
  them.  Per bug #9749 reported by Michal Novotný
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6bdf4b9c7dde84902a0cc19c27c51c016485b8e6

- Add missing doc changes for ee80f043bc9b.  Per note from Tom Lane
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/da6ac4a6683788ed7042a46568f2b040210830f8

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- json_build_object and json_build_array are stable, not immutable.
  These functions indirectly invoke output functions, so they can't be
  immutable.  Backpatch to 9.4 where they were introduced.  Catalog
  version bumped.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f43a55331c5697caa2054189ad8d1e717ccb192

Tom Lane pushed:

- Allow join removal in some cases involving a left join to a
  subquery.  We can remove a left join to a relation if the relation's
  output is provably distinct for the columns involved in the join
  clause (considering only equijoin clauses) and the relation supplies
  no variables needed above the join.  Previously, the join removal
  logic could only prove distinctness by reference to unique indexes
  of a table.  This patch extends the logic to consider subquery
  relations, wherein distinctness might be proven by reference to
  GROUP BY, DISTINCT, etc.  We actually already had some code to check
  that a subquery's output was provably distinct, but it was hidden
  inside pathnode.c; which was a pretty bad place for it really, since
  that file is mostly boilerplate Path construction and comparison.
  Move that code to analyzejoins.c, which is arguably a more
  appropriate location, and is certainly the site of the new usage for
  it.  David Rowley, reviewed by Simon Riggs
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f15821eefd70941d4ec5bd77d75c1da5534ba6b2

- Fix two low-probability memory leaks in regular expression parsing.
  If pg_regcomp failed after having invoked markst/cleanst, it would
  leak any "struct subre" nodes it had created.  (We've already
  detected all regex syntax errors at that point, so the only likely
  causes of later failure would be query cancel or out-of-memory.)  To
  fix, make sure freesrnode knows the difference between the
  pre-cleanst and post-cleanst cleanup procedures.  Add some
  documentation of this less-than-obvious point.  Also, newlacon did
  the wrong thing with an out-of-memory failure from realloc(), so
  that the previously allocated array would be leaked.  Both of these
  are pretty low-probability scenarios, but a bug is a bug, so patch
  all the way back.  Per bug #10976 from Arthur O'Dwyer.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1567e659a877d35ab4b85dafff41b2845d50990f

- Partial fix for dropped columns in functions returning composite.
  When a view has a function-returning-composite in FROM, and there
  are some dropped columns in the underlying composite type,
  ruleutils.c printed junk in the column alias list for the
  reconstructed FROM entry.  Before 9.3, this was prevented by doing
  get_rte_attribute_is_dropped tests while printing the column alias
  list; but that solution is not currently available to us for reasons
  I'll explain below.  Instead, check for empty-string entries in the
  alias list, which can only exist if that column position had been
  dropped at the time the view was made.  (The parser fills in empty
  strings to preserve the invariant that the aliases correspond to
  physical column positions.) While this is sufficient to handle the
  case of columns dropped before the view was made, we have still got
  issues with columns dropped after the view was made.  In particular,
  the view could contain Vars that explicitly reference such columns!
  The dependency machinery really ought to refuse the column drop
  attempt in such cases, as it would do when trying to drop a table
  column that's explicitly referenced in views.  However, we currently
  neglect to store dependencies on columns of composite types, and
  fixing that is likely to be too big to be back-patchable (not to
  mention that existing views in existing databases would not have the
  needed pg_depend entries anyway).  So I'll leave that for a separate
  patch.  Pre-9.3, ruleutils would print such Vars normally (with
  their original column names) even though it suppressed their entries
  in the RTE's column alias list.  This is certainly bogus, since the
  printed view definition would fail to reload, but at least it didn't
  crash.  However, as of 9.3 the printed column alias list is tightly
  tied to the names printed for Vars; so we can't treat columns as
  dropped for one purpose and not dropped for the other.  This is why
  we can't just put back the get_rte_attribute_is_dropped test: it
  results in an assertion failure if the view in fact contains any
  Vars referencing the dropped column.  Once we've got dependencies
  preventing such cases, we'll probably want to do it that way instead
  of relying on the empty-string test used here.  This fix turned up a
  very ancient bug in outfuncs/readfuncs, namely that T_String nodes
  containing empty strings were not dumped/reloaded correctly: the
  node was printed as "<>" which is read as a string value of <>.
  Since (per SQL) we disallow empty-string identifiers, such nodes
  don't occur normally, which is why we'd not noticed.  (Such nodes
  aren't used for literal constants, just identifiers.) Per report
  from Marc Schablewski.  Back-patch to 9.3 which is where the rule
  printing behavior changed.  The dangling-variable case is broken all
  the way back, but that's not what his complaint is about.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9b35ddce93a2ef336498baa15581b9d10f01db9c

- Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2014e.  DST law
  changes in Crimea, Egypt, Morocco.  New zone Antarctica/Troll for
  Norwegian base in Queen Maud Land.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b1864fabf93f23e4eaa5ec4599a143ac8f7647e5

- Fix xreflabel for hot_standby_feedback.  Rather remarkable that this
  has been wrong since 9.1 and nobody noticed.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4cbe3abb3162d14a86bc8ec73fd9331638ec18a0

- First-draft release notes for 9.3.5.  As usual, the release notes
  for older branches will be made by cutting these down, but put them
  up for community review first.  Note: a few of these items actually
  don't apply to 9.3, but only to older branches.  I'll sort that out
  when copying the text into the older release-X.Y.sgml files.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ddc41fd2f4756b529814ad03fa32e8ba10253996

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Fix bugs in SP-GiST search with range type's -|- (adjacent)
  operator.  The consistent function contained several bugs: * The "if
  (which2) { ... }"  block was broken. It compared the * argument's
  lower bound against centroid's upper bound, while it was supposed to
  compare the argument's upper bound against the centroid's lower
  bound (the comment was correct, code was wrong). Also, it cleared
  bits in the "which1" variable, while it was supposed to clear bits
  in "which2".  * If the argument's upper bound was equal to the
  centroid's lower * bound, we descended to both halves (= all
  quadrants). That's unnecessary, searching the right quadrants is
  sufficient. This didn't lead to incorrect query results, but was
  clearly wrong, and slowed down queries unnecessarily.  * In the case
  that argument's lower bound is adjacent to the * centroid's upper
  bound, we also don't need to visit all quadrants. Per similar
  reasoning as previous point.  * The code where we compare the
  previous centroid with the current * centroid should match the code
  where we compare the current centroid with the argument. The point
  of that code is to redo the calculation done in the previous level,
  to see if we were supposed to traverse left or right (or up or
  down), and if we actually did. If we moved in the different
  direction, then we know there are no matches for bound.  Refactor
  the code and adds comments to make it more readable and easier to
  reason about.  Backpatch to 9.3 where SP-GiST support for range
  types was introduced.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1264ef31a399927f9fe02212e10980bf4ba7b9f2

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Christoph Moench-Tegeder sent in a patch to correct an example in
logical decoding.

Steve Singer sent in a patch to fix a bug in walsender keepalives.

Etsuro Fujita sent in a patch to remove some redundant words from a
comment in src/backend/commands/explain.c.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello sent in four more revisions of a patch to
implement ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED.

Shigeru HANADA and Kaigai Kouhei traded patches to implement the
custom plan API.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to fix an issue with pg_basebackup on
Windows with symlinks.

Fujii Masao sent in a patch to fix an issue with pg_receivexlog
--status-interval.  It checked for positive numbers, but should have
checked for nonzero ones.

Dilip Kumar sent in a patch to ensure that \pset correctly shows both
arguments are optional, not just the second.

David Rowley sent in another revision of a patch to allow NOT IN to
use ANTI JOINs in certain cases.

Rajeev Rastogi sent in a patch to fix an issue where there was an
unwanted LOG during recovery of DROP TABLESPACE.

Jeff Janes sent in another revision of a patch to fix issues that
manifested as "Could not open file "pg_multixact/members/xxxx".

Dilip Kumar sent in two more revisions of a patch to enable vacuumdb
to use >1 core in parallel.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to enable using
a UNIQUE index for longer pathkeys.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to fix an issue where xmin and xmax
for FDWs give strange results.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to change a couple of instances of
BUFFER_LOCK_EXCLUSIVE in src/backend/access/gin/gininsert.c to
GIN_EXCLUSIVE.

Viswanatham Kirankumar sent in a patch to process pg_hba.conf keywords
as case-insensitive.

Fabien COELHO sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow using a
Gaussian distribution in pgbench.

Amit Kapila sent in a patch to fix the fact that pg_basebackup -T
doesn't work on Windows.

Michael Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to do better at
HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn().

Dmitry Voronin sent in another revision of a patch to augment
the sslinfo contrib extension.

Petr (PJMODOS) Jelinek sent in another revision of a patch to allow
setting a new system identifier via pg_resetxlog.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to fix some WAL
replay bugs.

MauMau sent in a patch to suppress "autovacuum: found orphan temp
table" messages.

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to tweak
NTUP_PER_BUCKET.

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to fix an issue where
bad estimation together with large work_mem generates terrible slow
hash joins.

Fabien COELHO sent in two revisions of a patch to fix an issue where
pg_stat_statements is cluttered with "DEALLOCATE dbdpg_p*".