Re: Bi-Directional replication client awareness - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Bi-Directional replication client awareness
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2014-07-12 18:22:30 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 07/12/2014 02:24 PM, Martin Gudmundsson wrote:
> > Any ideas giving BDR an option to be synchronous. I mean in ”close quarters” with low latency it should work ok.
>
> BDR doesn't do synchronous replication _yet_, but it's on the roadmap.

Just to clarify: There's two things that sometimes are referred to as
'synchronous' in the context of multimaster replication.

Just like with HS' builtin synchronous replication it can mean that the
client doesn't get a reply until the COMMIT has safely been replicated
to other systems. That's supported by BDR today.
The more complex thing is support for performing transactions that, when
the COMMIT returns successfully, can't have conflicts. That's *not* yet
supported, but we're thinking of implementing it for individual
transactions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund