Re: Minmax indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Minmax indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> > The way it works now, each opclass needs to have three support
> > procedures; I've called them getOpers, maybeUpdateValues, and compare.
> > (I realize these names are pretty bad, and will be changing them.)
>
> I kind of like "maybeUpdateValues".  Very ... NoSQL-ish.  "Maybe update
> the values, maybe not."  ;-)

:-)  Well, that's exactly what happens.  If we insert a new tuple into
the table, and the existing summarizing tuple (to use Peter's term)
already covers it, then we don't need to update the index tuple at all.
What this name doesn't say is what values are to be maybe-updated.