Re: 9.5 CF1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.5 CF1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:

> Minmax indexes
>     Álvaro will respond to the design questions Heikki raised.

I'm currently reworking the patch so that things that need to be
abstract per discussion are abstract, without enlarging the scope
excessively.  I'm working on an opclass implementation that can be used
for "sortable" datatypes, so that it covers the datatypes it covers
today (basically anything with a btree opclass).  I don't intend to
implement opclasses for any other type, but with the design I expect to
have it should be possible to cover stuff like geometric types usefully.
(I guess it will be possible to index arrays in a general way also, but
I don't think it will be of any usefulness).

Once I post that version, I will focus on reviewing other patches, and
then maybe someone interested can try to implement other opclasses on
top of it, to ensure that the API I propose is sensible or at least
useful.