Re: Postgres Replaying WAL slowly - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Postgres Replaying WAL slowly
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2014-06-30 19:04:20 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Since we turned on the monitoring for that, we had a peak of 13,550
> > AccessExclusiveLocks.

Any chance the workload also uses lots of subtransactions?

> Ah ... that's more like a number I can believe something would have
> trouble coping with.  Did you see a noticeable slowdown with this?
> Now that we've seen that number, of course it's possible there was an
> even higher peak occurring when you saw the trouble.
>
> Perhaps there's an O(N^2) behavior in StandbyReleaseLocks, or maybe
> it just takes awhile to handle that many locks.

I don't think there's a O(n^2) in StandbyReleaseLocks() itself, but in
combination with StandbyReleaseLockTree() it looks possibly bad. The
latter will call StandbyReleaseLocks() for every xid/subxid, and each of
the StandbyReleaseLocks() will then trawl the entire RecoveryLockList...

It'd probably be better to implement ReleaseLocksTree() by sorting the
subxid list and bsearch that while iterating RecoveryLockList.

Greetings,

Andres Freund