Re: pg_resetxlog to clear backup start/end locations. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: pg_resetxlog to clear backup start/end locations.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello, thank you for the comments.

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > On 13 June 2014 12:27, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think that pg_resetxlog should reset backup locations by default
> >> since they are useless (rather harmful) after pg_resetxlog. Thought?
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Do we regard that point as a bug that should be backpatched?
>
> Yep, I think so.

... Ouch, I was too short-sighted :( That is pretty natural to do
so after hearing that. I should have pointed this at the previous
discusion.

I assume the primary usage of this patch to be, as described
before, Dissolving a recovery freezing caused by wrongly placed
backup label. Crash recovery has been already done at that time
so resetxlog's current behavior seems also fittin the situation,
I suppose.

Ok, I'm doing modify it to reset backup locations by default and
remove the new option '-b' to do that. Since this seems looking
to be a bug for the poeple, I'll provide backpatches back
to... 8.4?  (Final release of 8.4 is scheduled at July 2014)

Concerning documentation, I see no need to edit it if no one
wants it more detailed after the visible option has been called
off.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi