Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
* Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I'm a bit lost as to why psqlODBC does so much of this its self, instead
> > of just using libpq. PgJDBC does it because it wants to be a JDBC Type 4
> > driver, i.e. all Java code, so it can't talk to libpq over JNI/JNA. That
> > concern does not apply to psqlODBC, which in fact already links to libpq
> > but doesn't seem to use it for protocol handling.
>
> We tried to port psqlODBC to libpq 5 - 10 years ago. It didn't go
> well, and eventually we went back to the original code.

As I recall, one big issue about porting to libpq was the lack of a
streaming-style capability without using cursors.  We have the 'single
row mode' option in libpq now which might address that.  I'm sure there
were other issues but I don't recall them offhand.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment