Re: crash with assertions and WAL_DEBUG - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: crash with assertions and WAL_DEBUG
Date
Re: crash with assertions and WAL_DEBUG  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-06-14 16:57:33 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I noticed that HEAD crashes at startup with assertions disabled and
> > WAL_DEBUG turned on:
>
> I'm beginning to think we're going to have to give up on that
> no-pallocs-in-critical-sections Assert.  It was useful to catch
> unnecessarily-dangerous allocations in mainline cases, but getting rid
> of every last corner-case palloc is looking to be, if not impossible,
> at least a lot more trouble than it is worth.

I think we at least need to remove it from 9.4. We shouldn't release
with an assertion that still regularly triggers in more or less
'harmless' situations.
I think it might be worthwile to keep it in master to help maintain the
rule against allocations in critical sections. And perhaps as a reminder
that e.g. the checkpointer is doing bad things...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services