Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Shared memory changes in 9.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Andres Freund 2014-06-12 <20140612094112.GZ8406@alap3.anarazel.de>
> > * Make initdb determine the best shm type for this platform and write
> >   it into postgresql.conf as it does now.
> > * If no dynamic_shared_memory_type is found in the config, default to
> >   "none".
> > * Modify the three identical error messages concerned about shm
> >   segments to include the shm type instead of always just saying
> >   "FATAL:  could not open shared memory segment"
> > * Add a HINT to the POSIX error message:
> >   "HINT: This might indicate that /dev/shm is not mounted, or its
> >   permissions do not allow the database user to create files there"
>
> Sounds like a sane plan to me.

Here are two patches, one that implements the annotated error
messages, and one that selects none as default.

It might also make sense to add a Note that POSIX depends on /dev/shm,
and also a Note that dynamic_shared_memory_type is not related to
the shared_buffers shm segments, which I didn't include here.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Attachment