Re: idle_in_transaction_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Abhijit Menon-Sen
Subject Re: idle_in_transaction_timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 2014-06-03 15:06:11 +0200, vik.fearing@dalibo.com wrote:

> This patch implements a timeout for broken clients that idle in
> transaction.

I think this is a nice feature, but I suggest that (at the very least)
the GUC should be named "idle_transaction_timeout".

> +        <para>
> +         Terminate any session that is idle in transaction for longer than the specified
> +         number of seconds.  This not only allows any locks to be released, but also allows
> +         the connection slot to be reused.  However, aborted idle in transaction sessions
> +         are not affected.  A value of zero (the default) turns this off.
> +        </para>

I suggest:
   Terminate any session with an open transaction that has been idle   for longer than the specified duration in
seconds.This allows any   locks to be released and the connection slot to be reused.

It's not clear to me what "However, aborted idle in transaction sessions
are not affected" means.
   The default value of 0 means that such sessions will not be   terminated.

-- Abhijit