Re: Long term support for Debian 6.0 Announced - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Long term support for Debian 6.0 Announced
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Karl O. Pinc 2014-05-28 <1401291227.4924.0@slate>
> > > Long term support for Debian 6.0 Announced
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2014/msg00002.html
>

> > the plan is to simply continue providing PostgreSQL packages on
> > apt.postgresql.org. We (I) won't additionally feed updates via the
> > squeeze-lts suite.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm sorry but I'm still not clear on what this means for continued
> squeeze support. (Or for future "long term" support).  Will the
> postgresql apt repo continue to have new pg releases for
> squeeze (or whatever other debian versions are on "long term"
> support) or will these end when squeeze goes out of regular
> support?
>
> Perhaps I'm confused because while the debian announcement
> uses the term "Squeeze-LTS" it never talks about apt
> repo suites or the mechanics of how squeeze support
> will continue with respect to repos.

Hi,

sorry if that was too terse. apt.postgresql.org will simply continue
supporting squeeze, i.e. new packages will appear in the
"squeeze-pgdg" suite there as before.

On the Debian side, the "squeeze" (standard Debian) and
"squeeze/updates" (standard Debian security) suite will stop getting
updated by Debian, but a new suite "squeeze-lts" will appear, which is
not fed by the Debian security team, but from individual Debian
people.

So for pgapt users, nothing will change. People using PostgreSQL from
stock Debian squeeze will move to pgapt, though. To make people aware
of that fact, we will do one-time upload to squeeze-lts which will
show a debconf-style popup.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/