Re: Long term support for Debian 6.0 Announced - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: Long term support for Debian 6.0 Announced
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On 05/29/2014 12:43:31 PM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Karl O. Pinc 2014-05-28 <1401291227.4924.0@slate>
>
> sorry if that was too terse. apt.postgresql.org will simply continue
> supporting squeeze, i.e. new packages will appear in the
> "squeeze-pgdg" suite there as before.
>
> On the Debian side, the "squeeze" (standard Debian) and
> "squeeze/updates" (standard Debian security) suite will stop getting
> updated by Debian, but a new suite "squeeze-lts" will appear, which
> is
> not fed by the Debian security team, but from individual Debian
> people.

Thanks.  This is all very clear.

> So for pgapt users, nothing will change. People using PostgreSQL from
> stock Debian squeeze will move to pgapt, though. To make people aware
> of that fact, we will do one-time upload to squeeze-lts which will
> show a debconf-style popup.

Ok.  To elaborate, there's no plan for any sort of backporting
of PG security fixes into the version of PG packaged with
squeeze (a-la a RH style of supporting very old PG versions
packaged in old RH distros).  Instead, squeeze users must
upgrade to newer versions of PG, supported by PG, as
older PG versions go out of support.  If, of course,
squeeze is supported long enough for it's version of PG
to go out of PG support.

I know you mentioned adding comments to the README.Debian file.
I don't recall the context but
it might be worth doing this in Jesse/Sid as well
since those people who will eventually be required
to rely on the pgapt repo might want to configure
their system that way from the get-go.  (I've
a unconsidered thought: Would it
be crazy for the Debian pg packages to add a
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgapt file so that
this happens automatically?)

Regards,

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein