BUG #10446: start fails: data has group access - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From eike@snafu.de
Subject BUG #10446: start fails: data has group access
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      10446
Logged by:          eike
Email address:      eike@snafu.de
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.5
Operating system:   2.6.18-028stab101.1 @ virtuozzo@2.6.0

GMTFATAL:  data directory "/srv/pgsql/data" has group or world access
GMTDETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).

I fully understand that there must have been a lot of discussions
about this permission restriction.
And probably this is the way to go for a good reason.

I was not aware of that and did set
    rwxr-x--- postgres postgres
(and made me member of the postgres group, so that I could have a look at
the config without su)

It failed on reboot.
postgres would not start.

This was a bit unexpected, since it did work fine with these permissions.

Is there a config option for this already?
(but this would open up a hole)