BUG #10347: Can't write password to psql or pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From derek_ealy@rapid7.com
Subject BUG #10347: Can't write password to psql or pg_dump
Date
Re: BUG #10347: Can't write password to psql or pg_dump  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      10347
Logged by:          Derek Ealy
Email address:      derek_ealy@rapid7.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.4
Operating system:   Windows

When exec'ing a command to pg_dump or psql from Java there is no "normal"
way to send the password to the psql process.

On Linux systems it works as expected because I write the password to the
input stream of the process running psql.

On Windows systems the psql or pg_dump process always hangs after sending
the password to stdin of the process.

I've gotten around this problem by setting an environment variable before
exec'ing the process. I set OSTYPES=msys. This forces psql to use stdin when
reading the password.

It's not a documented feature, but I found it in the source code. I think
there should be a documented way of telling psql and pg_dump to pull the
password from stdin.