BUG #10052: COPY (...) TO 'file' doesn't create file - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From postgresql.org@ch.pkts.ca
Subject BUG #10052: COPY (...) TO 'file' doesn't create file
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      10052
Logged by:          PFudd
Email address:      postgresql.org@ch.pkts.ca
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.8
Operating system:   CentOS 6.5

In psql, this command works:
#   copy (select * from history) to STDOUT;
It prints 957 lines to stdout.

However, if I do:
#   copy (select * from history) to '/tmp/foo.txt';
it prints
   COPY 957
but doesn't create the file /tmp/foo.txt.

If the filename is changed to 'foo.txt' it says:
   ERROR:  relative path not allowed for COPY to file
so we know that it's at least looking at the filename critically.

If the filename is changed to /tmp/foo.txt without the single quotes, it
says:
    ERROR:  syntax error at or near "/"
as expected.

It doesn't matter if I'm doing this as a regular user or as the root user.

Using strace, it can be seen there was no attempt to stat or open that
filename for writing:

# env PGPASSWORD=password strace -fo/tmp/strace.log psql -h 1.2.3.4 -U
username -c "copy (select * from history where num=5) to '/tmp/foo.txt'"
analyzer_local

# cat /tmp/foo.txt
cat: /tmp/foo.txt: No such file or directory

# grep -c foo.txt /tmp/strace.log
0

This was tried with psql 9.2.8 and psql 9.1.13, connecting to a server
running 9.2.4.