Re: BUG #9843: interval data type storage size (8.1 later) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #9843: interval data type storage size (8.1 later)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Apr  3, 2014 at 08:46:28AM +0000, nuko.yokohama@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      9843
> Logged by:          nuko yokohama
> Email address:      nuko.yokohama@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.4
> Operating system:   CentOS 6.3
>
> Hi.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 document in "Table 8-9" of "8.5. Date / Time Types", storage
> size of the interval data type has 12 bytes.
> However, the definition of "datatype / timestamp.h", size of the interval
> data type was 16 bytes.
> In addition, interval data type was 16 bytes even dump the results of the
> table file.

This will be fixed in 9.4 with this patch:

    commit 146604ec43bcd6f977c31775a91022cf9737daf5
    Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
    Date:   Thu Jan 30 09:41:43 2014 -0500

        Add checks for interval overflow/underflow

        New checks include input, month/day/time internal adjustments, addition,
        subtraction, multiplication, and negation.  Also adjust docs to
        correctly specify interval size in bytes.

        Report from Rok Kralj

I am not sure why this was not fixed earlier.

> "day" field to the interval data type is added in PostgreSQL 8.1, but do not
> not been reflected in the document PostgreSQL at that time?

Uh, can you show me a sentence where it is missing?  I don't see it.

  + Everyone has their own god. +