Re: QSoC proposal: date_trunc supporting intervals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: QSoC proposal: date_trunc supporting intervals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexandr escribió:

> 21.03.2014 00:33, Josh Berkus пишет:
> >Comments:
> >#2: I don't understand this one?
> >#3 is already a patch for version 9.4, but possibly you can
> >improve/expand it.
> >#4 has already been the subject of a LOT of debate, I think you
> >don't want to get into it.
> I meaned this one: Allow TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE to store the
> original timezone information, either zone name or offset from UTC
> And which ideas can you advise me to add to proposal?

This has been discussed previously.  I doubt it makes a good GSoC
project.  Maybe if you were to create a new datatype that stored the
timestamptz plus the original timezone separately, it'd work better;
however I vaguely remember we discussed this a long time ago.  One of
the challenges was how to store the timezone; we didn't want to spend as
much as the whole text representation, so we wanted a catalog that
attached an OID to each timezone. It got real messy from there, and we
dropped the idea.