HP-UX 11.31 Itanium2 64bit again - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From H.Merijn Brand
Subject HP-UX 11.31 Itanium2 64bit again
Date
Re: [BUGS] HP-UX 11.31 Itanium2 64bit again  (Shawn Doyle <sdoyle0@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Back in December 2010 I reported to be unable to *use* a postgres build
on HP-UX 11.31 (64bit). The configure/build/test works fine for both HP
C-ANSI-C ( HP C/aC++ B3910B A.06.26 [Apr 12 2011]) or gcc-4.7.2 and for
both the product works fine on itself after installation.

That however is somewhat useless, as the database is running on another
machine and I only need the installed postgres for its shared libraries
to link against perl for DBD::Pg. (having psql locally is a pre, but it
is not a necessity)

The available perl is a 64bit build, so my postgresql libraries have to
be 64bit too. As I only have 64bit versions of openssl,  that all makes
sense for both postgresql and perl anyway. Another reason perl is built
in 64bit is that I only have 64bit Oracle libs and perl scripts have to
connect to both Oracle and PostgreSQL simultaneously.

After the installation, DBD::Pg is able to link against libpq.so.5, but
just as in 2010/2011, it is not able to make any connection due to some
socket incompatabilities:

$ perl -MDBI -wE'DBI->connect ("dbi:Pg:")'
DBI connect('','',...) failed: could not get socket error status: Invalid argument at -e line 1.

The docs state that  HP-UX is one of the platforms postgresql is tested
on, but is it ever tested beyond the product itself? Is there anyone to
guide me in making this work?

I am now stuck to postgresql-8.4.5 which is the last release I was able
to build to a state that worked with perl.

I found myself in exactly the same state as in 2010/2011.

--
H.Merijn Brand    merijn@procura.nl   (072) 567 13 51
PROCURA B.V.    http://www.procura.nl    KvK 37140650