BUG #9485: RFE - cycling sequence rollover to do modulo - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Paul.Murray@environment.gov.au
Subject BUG #9485: RFE - cycling sequence rollover to do modulo
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      9485
Logged by:          Paul Murray
Email address:      Paul.Murray@environment.gov.au
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
Operating system:   OSX

When a sequence with a cycle does a rollover, it sets itself to its minimum
value.

I would like an option to create a sequence that resets to the minimum value
plus the amount by which the next number exceeded the maximum. Perhaps like
this:

create sequence foo increment 616 min value 0 maxvalue 999 cycle modulo;

This allows me to create a sequence where the generated numbers are not
consecutive, but which will exhaust the number range I have assigned (by
making the increment relatively prime to the number of elements in the
range).

(PS: 616/1000 is, of course, the golden ratio <g>)