Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
> On 2/27/14, 9:08 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Extensions can't depend on other extensions directly- hence you can't
> > write an extension that depends on hstore, which sucks.
>
> Sure they can, see transforms.
>
> (Or if you disagree, download that patch and demo it, because I'd like
> to know. ;-) )

The issue is if there's a direct reference from one extension to another
extension- we're talking C level function call here.  If the extensions
aren't loaded in the correct order then you'll run into problems.  I've
not tried to work out getting one to actually link to the other, so
they're pulled in together, but it doesn't strike me as great answer
either.  Then there's the questions around versioning, etc...

Presumably, using shared_preload_libraries would work to get the .so's
loaded in the right order, but it doesn't strike me as appropriate to
require that.

And, for my 2c, I'd like to see jsonb as a built-in type *anyway*.  Even
if it's possible to fight with things and make inter-extension
dependency work, it's not trivial and would likely discourage new
developers trying to use it.
Thanks,
    Stephen