Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas escribió:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, erroring out seems good enough.  Particularly if you add a hint
> > saying "please upgrade the extension".
>
> In past instances where this has come up, we have actually made the
> .so backward-compatible.  See pg_stat_statements in particular.  I'd
> prefer to keep to that precedent here.

But pg_stat_statement is a user tool which is expected to have lots of
use, and backwards compatibility concerns because of people who might
have written tools on top of it.  Not so with pageinspect.  I don't
think we need to put in the same amount of effort.  (Even though,
really, it's probably not all that difficult to support both cases.  I
just don't see the point.)