Re: GSSAPI/SSPI and mismatched user names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: GSSAPI/SSPI and mismatched user names
Date
List pgsql-general
* Brian Crowell (brian@fluggo.com) wrote:
> https://github.com/npgsql/Npgsql/issues/162#issuecomment-35916650

Reading through this- can't you use GSSAPI to get the Kerberos princ
found the ticket which is constructed?  I'm pretty sure the MIT
libraries support that, at least...

> The short version is that Postgres requires two user names when using
> GSSAPI/SSPI: one from the startup packet, and one from the Kerberos ticket,
> and if these don't match exactly, the login fails. It's generally
> impossible to determine the correct user name to send in the startup packet.

Just as with .k5login, they do *not* have to match, but if they don't
then there needs to be a mapping provided from the Kerberos princ to the
PG username.  Check out pg_ident and note that it even supports
regexp's, so you may be able to construct a mapping such that the princ
is mixed case and the login works- provided you send the lowercase'd
username as the PG user to log in as.

> I think Postgres should either not require or ignore the user name in the
> startup packet for these two login types. What do you think?

We need the username to figure out which auth method we're using...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment