Re: Fwd: patch: make_timestamp function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Fwd: patch: make_timestamp function
Date
Re: Fwd: patch: make_timestamp function  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Pavel Stehule escribió:

> > 7) Why do the functions accept only the timezone abbreviation, not the
> >    full name? I find it rather confusing, because the 'timezone' option
> >    uses the full name, and we're using this as the default. But doing
> >    'show timestamp' and using the returned value fails. Is it possible
> >    to fix this somehow?
>
> A only abbreviation is allowed for timetz type. Timestamp can work with
> full time zone names. A rules (behave) should be same as input functions
> for types: timestamptz and timetz.
>
> postgres=# select '10:10:10 CET'::timetz;
>    timetz
> ─────────────
>  10:10:10+01
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# select '10:10:10 Europe/Prague'::timetz;
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type time with time zone: "10:10:10
> Europe/Prague"
> LINE 1: select '10:10:10 Europe/Prague'::timetz;
>                ^
>
> This limit is due used routines limits.

I think this is a strange limitation, and perhaps it should be fixed
rather than inflicting the limitation on the new function.

I tweaked your patch a bit, attached; other than defining what to do
about full TZ names in timetz, this seems ready to commit.

Attachment