Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-17 22:30:54 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> This is what I came up with. I like it, I didn't have to contort lwlocks as
> much as I feared. I added one field to LWLock structure, which is used to
> store the position of how far a WAL inserter has progressed. The LWLock code
> calls it just "value", without caring what's stored in it, and it's used by
> new functions LWLockWait and LWLockWakeup to implement the behavior the WAL
> insertion slots have, to wake up other processes waiting for the slot
> without releasing it.
>
> This passes regression tests, but I'll have to re-run the performance tests
> with this. One worry is that if the padded size of the LWLock struct is
> smaller than cache line, neighboring WAL insertion locks will compete for
> the cache line. Another worry is that since I added a field to LWLock
> struct, it might now take 64 bytes on platforms where it used to be 32 bytes
> before. That wastes some memory.

Why don't you allocate them in a separate tranche, from xlog.c? Then you
can store them inside whatever bigger object you want, guaranteeing
exactly the alignment you need. possibly you even can have the extra
value in the enclosing object?

I'd very much like to keep the core lwlocks size from increasing much, I
plan to work on inlineing them in the BufferDescriptors and keeping it
smaller does increase cache hit ratio..

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services