Re: HBA files w/include support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: HBA files w/include support?
Date
Re: HBA files w/include support?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:24:27PM -0600, Jerry Sievers wrote:
> > I'm aware of how a pg_hba.conf file can refer to other files for
> > including @lists of users, etc.
> >
> > But there is currently no support for being able to pull in entire file
> > segments as can be done for postgresql.conf via the include directive.
> >
> > In the environment that I'm managing, we are using a makefile to stick
> > together a common header with a custom section for any of several
> > clusters and may extend this further to permit additional includes for
> > hba rules common to groupings of clusters.
> >
> > Anyway, please advise.  I don't recall hearing anything like this
> > discussed.
> >
> > Has been proposed, discussed and voted down?  Or never mentioned?
>
> I have never heard of anyone request this.

I've brought it up on various threads before, including both the ALTER
SYSTEM thread and the postgresql.conf 'includes' thread, though I don't
feel like going back and hunting down the specific emails right now.

Having @include and directory.d-style capabilities for pg_hba.conf *and*
pg_ident.conf would make managing larger environments much better.
There has been some talk about providing those capabilities via tables
in the catalog, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it and it'd
certainly be quite a bit more work than adding include/dir.d options.
Thanks,
    Stephen