Re: psql should show disabled internal triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql should show disabled internal triggers
Date
Re: psql should show disabled internal triggers  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:59:51PM -0200, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM, fabriziomello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > the
> > >
> > > Well, that will lead the user in the wrong direction, won't it? They
> > > haven't disabled the constraint but the trigger. Especially as we
> > > already have NOT VALID and might grow DISABLED for constraint
> > > themselves...
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > The attached patch [1] enable PSQL to list internal disabled triggers in \d
> > only in versions >= 9.0.
> >
> > [1]  psql-display-all-triggers-v1.patch
> > <http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/file/n5775954/
> psql-display-all-triggers-v1.patch>

As others, I am concerned about people being confused when funny-looking
trigger names suddenly appearing when you disable all table triggers.

What I ended up doing is to create a user and internal section when
displaying disabled triggers:

    Disabled user triggers:
        check_update BEFORE UPDATE ON orders FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigf()
    Disabled internal triggers:
        "RI_ConstraintTrigger_c_16409" AFTER INSERT ON orders FROM customer NOT DEF ...
        "RI_ConstraintTrigger_c_16410" AFTER UPDATE ON orders FROM customer NOT DEF ...

I kept the "Triggers" section unchanged, showing only user triggers.  I
also updated the code to handle 8.3+ servers.

Patch attached.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment