Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-10 19:48:47 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 02/10/2014 06:41 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >>
> >>Actually, after grepping to check my memory of what those fields are
> >>being used for, I have a bigger question: WTF is xlog.c doing being
> >>so friendly with the innards of LWLocks?  Surely this needs to get
> >>refactored so that most of WakeupWaiters() and friends is in lwlock.c.
> >>Or has all notion of modularity gone out the window while I wasn't
> >>looking?
> >
> >Well, it's not actually using any lwlock.c code, it's a special case
> >locking logic, just reusing the datastructures. That said, I am not
> >particularly happy about the amount of code it's duplicating from
> >lwlock.c. Pretty much all of WALInsertSlotReleaseOne and most of
> >WALInsertSlotAcquireOne() is a copied.
>
> I'm not too happy with the amount of copy-paste myself, but there was enough
> difference to regular lwlocks that I didn't want to bother all lwlocks with
> the xlog-specific stuff either. The WAL insert slots do share the
> LWLock-related PGPROC fields though, and semaphore. I'm all ears if you have
> ideas on that..

The lwlock scalability stuff has separated out the enqueue/wakeup code,
that probably should work here as well? And that's a fair portion of the
code. I think it should be doable to make that generic enough that the
actual difference of the struct doesn't matter. It'd also reduce
duplication of LWLockAcquire, ConditionalAcquire, OrWait.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services