specifying repeatable read in PGOPTIONS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject specifying repeatable read in PGOPTIONS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I recently had the need to bury the used isolation level in the
connection string, but it turns out that doesn't work that well...

PGOPTIONS='-c default_transaction_isolation=serializable' \   psql ... -c "SHOW default_transaction_isolation"
works well enough, but
PGOPTIONS='-c default_transaction_isolation=repeatable read' \   psql ... -c "SHOW default_transaction_isolation"
doesn't, because of the whitespace. I couldn't come up with any adequate
quoting.

I'd like to propose adding aliases with dashes instead of spaces to the
isolation_level_options array? I'd even like to backport it, because it
makes benchmarking across versions unneccessarily hard.

Additionally we might want to think about a bit better quoting support
for such options?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services