Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-03 09:22:52 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > I lost my stomach (or maybe it was the glass of red) somewhere in the
> > middle, but I think this needs a lot of work. Especially the io code
> > doesn't seem ready to me. I'd consider ripping out the send/recv code
> > for 9.4, that seems the biggest can of worms. It will still be usable
> > without.
>
> Not having type send/recv functions is somewhat dangerous; it can
> cause problems for libraries that run everything through the binary
> wire format.  I'd give jsonb a pass on that, being a new type, but
> would be concerned if hstore had that ability revoked.

Yea, removing it for hstore would be a compat problem...

> offhand note: hstore_send seems pretty simply written and clean; it's
> a simple nonrecursive iterator...

But a send function is pretty pointless without the corresponding recv
function... And imo recv simply is to dangerous as it's currently
written.
I am not saying that it cannot be made work, just that it's still nearly
as ugly as when I pointed out several of the dangers some weeks back.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services