Re: BUG #9003: Hard-coding to localhost in postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #9003: Hard-coding to localhost in postmaster
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:02:37PM -0500, Paul Morie wrote:
> > Based on your setup, why would you not DNS-map "localhost" to whatever
> > 127.x.x.x address you gave that gear?  We specifically bind to the
> > "localhost" string and not 127.0.0.1.
>
> The gears do not have their own DNS.  Gear processes run in regular unix accounts
> and not in VMs, linux containers, etc.

I am guessing you can't use a Bind configuration file to return a
specific "localhost" IP address for specific gear because they don't
have unique IP source addresses, e.g. you can't filter the source
requests.

  + Everyone has their own god. +