Re: BUG #8880: no indication of value when exceeded maximum length - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #8880: no indication of value when exceeded maximum length
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 04:11:39PM +0000, mlipchuk@redhat.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      8880
> Logged by:          Maor Lipchuk
> Email address:      mlipchuk@redhat.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.3
> Operating system:   Fedora 18
>
> When trying to insert a varchar value in a limited column which exceed the
> column limitation, we get an error of "value too long for type
> character(%d)).
> e.g varchar(5) --> value of 6 character "123456"
>
> There is no indication which value exceeded the limitation and for big
> tables it is almost impossible to indicate the specific exceeded value.

Yes, that is odd.  If it was a constraint we would have printed out the
name of the constraint being violated, but type checking doesn't have
names and doesn't report which field is a problem.  I am not sure what
to recommend here.  I tried psql's \set VERBOSITY verbose, but that
didn't help:

    test=> \set VERBOSITY verbose
    test=> INSERT INTO test VALUES ('123456', '123456');
    ERROR:  22001: value too long for type character varying(5)
    LOCATION:  varchar, varchar.c:623

  + Everyone has their own god. +