Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Chinner
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 02:29:40PM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
> >
> > > For checkpoint writes, direct I/O actually would be reasonable.
> > > Bypassing the OS cache is a good thing in that case - we don't want the
> > > written pages to evict other pages from the OS cache, as we already have
> > > them in the PostgreSQL buffer cache.
> >
> > But in exchange for that, we'd have to deal with selecting an order to
> > write pages that's appropriate depending on the filesystem layout,
> > other things happening in the system, etc etc.  We don't want to build
> > an I/O scheduler, IMO, but we'd have to.
> >
> > > Writing one page at a time with O_DIRECT from a single process might be
> > > quite slow, so we'd probably need to use writev() or asynchronous I/O to
> > > work around that.
> >
> > Yeah, and if the system has multiple spindles, we'd need to be issuing
> > multiple O_DIRECT writes concurrently, no?
> >

> writev effectively does do that, doesn't it?  But they do have to be on the
> same file handle, so that could be a problem.  I think we need something
> like sorted checkpoints sooner or later, anyway.

No, it doesn't. writev() allows you to supply multiple user buffers
for a single IO to fixed offset. If th efile is contiguous, then it
will be issued as a single IO. If you want concurrent DIO, then you
need to use multiple threads or AIO.

> > What we'd really like for checkpointing is to hand the kernel a boatload
> > (several GB) of dirty pages and say "how about you push all this to disk
> > over the next few minutes, in whatever way seems optimal given the storage
> > hardware and system situation.  Let us know when you're done."
>
> And most importantly, "Also, please don't freeze up everything else in the
> process"

If you hand writeback off to the kernel, then writeback for memory
reclaim needs to take precedence over "metered writeback". If we are
low on memory, then cleaning dirty memory quickly to avoid ongoing
allocation stalls, failures and potentially OOM conditions is far more
important than anything else.....

Cheers,

Dave.
--