Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Kara
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon 13-01-14 22:36:06, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:27:03PM -0200, Claudio Freire wrote:

> > > Isn't this a fairly simple matter of when we read a page into shared buffers
> > > tell the kernel do forget that page? And a corollary to that for when we
> > > dump a page out of shared_buffers (here kernel, please put this back into
> > > your cache).
> >

> > That's my point. In terms of kernel-postgres interaction, it's fairly simple.
> >
> > What's not so simple, is figuring out what policy to use. Remember,
> > you cannot tell the kernel to put some page in its page cache without
> > reading it or writing it. So, once you make the kernel forget a page,
> > evicting it from shared buffers becomes quite expensive.
>
> posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED) is meant to cover this case by
> forcing readahead. If you evict it prematurely then you do get kinda
> screwed because you pay the IO cost to read it back in again even if you
> had enough memory to cache it. Maybe this is the type of kernel-postgres
> interaction that is annoying you.
>
> If you don't evict, the kernel eventually steps in and evicts the wrong
> thing. If you do evict and it was unnecessarily you pay an IO cost.
>
> That could be something we look at. There are cases buried deep in the
> VM where pages get shuffled to the end of the LRU and get tagged for
> reclaim as soon as possible. Maybe you need access to something like
> that via posix_fadvise to say "reclaim this page if you need memory but
> leave it resident if there is no memory pressure" or something similar.
> Not exactly sure what that interface would look like or offhand how it
> could be reliably implemented. Well, kernel managing user space cache postgres guys talk about looks
pretty much like what "volatile range" patches are trying to achieve.

Note to postgres guys: I think you should have a look at the proposed
'vrange' system call. The latest posting is here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg67328.html. It contains a rather
detailed description of the feature. And if the feature looks good to you,
you can add your 'me to' plus if anyone would be willing to try that out
with postgress that would be most welcome (although I understand you might
not want to burn your time on experimental kernel feature).
                            Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR