Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-01-13 15:15:16 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> > I notice, Josh, that you didn't mention the problems many people
> > have run into with Transparent Huge Page defrag and with NUMA
> > access.
>
> Amen to that.  Actually, I think NUMA can be (mostly?) fixed by
> setting zone_reclaim_mode; is there some other problem besides that?

I think that fixes some of the worst instances, but I've seen machines
spending horrible amounts of CPU (& BUS) time in page reclaim
nonetheless. If I analyzed it correctly it's in RAM << working set
workloads where RAM is pretty large and most of it is used as page
cache. The kernel ends up spending a huge percentage of time finding and
potentially defragmenting pages when looking for victim buffers.

> On a related note, there's also the problem of double-buffering.  When
> we read a page into shared_buffers, we leave a copy behind in the OS
> buffers, and similarly on write-out.  It's very unclear what to do
> about this, since the kernel and PostgreSQL don't have intimate
> knowledge of what each other are doing, but it would be nice to solve
> somehow.

I've wondered before if there wouldn't be a chance for postgres to say
"my dear OS, that the file range 0-8192 of file x contains y, no need to
reread" and do that when we evict a page from s_b but I never dared to
actually propose that to kernel people...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services