Re: Proposal: variant of regclass - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Proposal: variant of regclass
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> static Datum regclass_gut(char *class_name_or_oid, bool raiseError);
>> static List *stringToQualifiedNameList_gut(const char *string, bool raiseError);
>
> Please spell that as "guts" not "gut".

Thanks. I see.

>> regclass_gut is called from regclassin and toregclass and do the most
>> job before regclassin did. "raiseError" flag controls whether an error
>> is raised or not when an invalid argument (for example non existent
>> relation) is given. For this purpose, regclass_gut wraps the call to
>> oidin using a PG_TRY block.
>
> I do not think that use of PG_TRY is either necessary or acceptable
> --- for example, it will happily trap and discard query-cancel errors,
> as well as other errors that are not necessarily safe to ignore.
> If you don't want to risk an error on an invalid numeric string,
> how about parsing the integer yourself with sscanf?

Fair enough. I will remove the part.

> More generally, though, I don't see a great need to try to promise
> that this function *never* throws any errors, and so I'm also suspicious
> of the hacking you've done on stringToQualifiedNameList.  I'm even
> less happy about the idea that this patch might start reaching into
> things like makeRangeVarFromNameList.  I think it's sufficient if it
> doesn't throw an error on name-not-found; you don't have to try to
> prevent weird syntax problems from throwing errors.

For the pgpool-II use case, I'm happy to follow you because pgpool-II
always does a grammatical check (using raw parser) on a query first
and such syntax problem will be pointed out, thus never reaches to
the state where calling toregclass.

One concern is, other users expect toregclass to detect such syntax
problems. Anybody?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii