Re: Modify the DECLARE CURSOR command tag depending on the scrollable flag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Modify the DECLARE CURSOR command tag depending on the scrollable flag
Date
Re: Modify the DECLARE CURSOR command tag depending on the scrollable flag  (Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
Boszormenyi Zoltan escribió:

> If you consider all these:
>
> - certain combinations of query and DECLARE stmt flags fail;
> - adding NO SCROLL is breaking backward compatibility;
> - the readahead code has to really know whether the cursor is
>   scrollable so it can behave just like the server;
>
> then returning the SCROLL / NO SCROLL flag in the command tag is
> not a bad solution in my view. In fact, this was the only workable
> solution I could come up with to make it work reliably when neither
> SCROLL nor NO SCROLL is specified by the application.

Would it work to have a function of some sort to which you give a cursor
name and it returns whether it is scrollable or not?