Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:22:39AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > Uh, I ended up mentioning "no effect" to highlight it does nothing,
> > > rather than mention a warning.  Would people prefer I say "warning"?  Or
> > > should I say "issues a warning because it has no effect" or something?
> > > It is easy to change.
> >
> > I'd revert the change Robert highlights above.  ISTM you've changed the
> > code to match the documentation; why would you then change the docs?
>
> Well, I did it to make it consistent.  The question is what to write for
> _all_ of the new warnings, including SET.  Do we say "warning", do we
> say "it has no effect", or do we say both?  The ABORT is a just one case
> of that.

Maybe "it emits a warning and otherwise has no effect"?  Emitting a
warning is certainly not doing nothing; as has been pointed out in the
SSL renegotiation thread, it might cause the log to fill disk.