Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 04:31:12PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> >> My problem was that they issued _no_ message at all.  I am fine with
> >> them issuing a warning if that's what people prefer.  As they are all
> >> SET commands, they will be consistent.
> >
> > OK, here is a patch which changes ABORT from NOTICE to WARNING, and SET
> > from ERROR (which is new in 9.4) to WARNING.
>
> Well, Tom and I are on opposite sides of this, I suppose.  I prefer
> ERROR for everything other than the top-level transaction commands,
> and see no benefit from opting for a wishy-washy warning.

Well, the only way I can process this is to think of psql with
ON_ERROR_STOP enabled.  Would we want a no-op command to abort psql?  I
can see logic that top-level transaction commands and SET to not, but
other commands do.  I can also see them all aborting psql, or none of
them.  :-(

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +