Re: logical changeset generation v6.7 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: logical changeset generation v6.7
Date
Re: logical changeset generation v6.7  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: logical changeset generation v6.7  (Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-12 18:50:33 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> > You've actually changed the meaning of this section (and not in a good way):
> >
> >          be set at server start. <varname>wal_level</> must be set
> > -        to <literal>archive</> or <literal>hot_standby</> to allow
> > -        connections from standby servers.
> > +        to <literal>archive</>, <literal>hot_standby</> or <literal>logical</>
> > +        to allow connections from standby servers.
> >
> > I think that the previous text meant that you needed archive - or, if
> > you want to allow connections, hot_standby.  The new text loses that
> > nuance.
>
> Yea, that's because it was lost on me in the first place...

I think that's because the nuance isn't actually in the text - note that
it is talking about max_wal_senders and talking about connections
*from*, not *to* standby servers.
I've reformulated the wal_level paragraph and used "or higher" in
several places now.

Ok, so here's a rebased version of this. I tried to fix all the issues
you mentioned, and it's based on the split off IsSystemRelation() patch,
I've sent yesterday (included here).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment