Re: Function args: TEXT -vs- VARCHAR? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From skinner@britvault.co.uk (Craig R. Skinner)
Subject Re: Function args: TEXT -vs- VARCHAR?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 2013-11-12 Tue 19:23 PM |, Luca Vernini wrote:
> I like to have constraint, so I usually use character varying.

Same here, I have no text columns. All strings are stored as character
varying.

> Anyway, there is no performance difference:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/datatype-character.html

Interesting, although that performance tip is about table storage, not
casting arguments from text to character varying within a function.

> So use character varying just if you can, or if you must limit the input.

Yes, I'll change the function args to be the same as the table columns
so the functions fail on over length input, rather than going through
the process of validating customer id & account, only to fail on data.

Therefore => performace increase with character varying function args.

Thanks,
--
Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7