Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-07 10:00:53 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> If we wanted to change the defaults, I think it would be easier to
> create a separate bin name (e.g. pg_backup) than to change the existing
> parameters for pg_dump.

Provided somebody is actually willing to put in the not inconsiderable
amount of work to make this smoother for users, something like pg_backup
would be a great idea. It should have an interface that allows to dump
global and local object and it should be able to dump multiple databases
in one invocation. Explaining users they have to use pg_dumpall for
global objects but that they also shouldn't dare to use it for anything
else is, well, difficult.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services