Re: git diff --check whitespace checks, gitattributes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: git diff --check whitespace checks, gitattributes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> This makes the entire tree git diff --check clean.  After this, future
> patches can be inspected for whitespace errors with git diff --check,
> something that has been discussed on occasion.

+1 to this, and also +1 to Tom's suggestion of making it more strongly
enforced.

> One open question is whether psql output pasted into documentation, in
> particular .sgml files, should preserve the trailing whitespace that
> psql produces.  This is currently done inconsistently.

I think pasting psql output verbatim isn't such a great idea anyway.
Maybe it's okay for certain specific examples, but in most cases I think
it'd be better to produce native SGML tables instead of <programoutput>
stuff.  After all, it's the result set that's interesting, not the way
psql presents it.