Re: logical changeset generation v6.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: logical changeset generation v6.5
Date
Re: logical changeset generation v6.5  (Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Attached to this mail and in the xlog-decoding-rebasing-remapping branch
in my git[1] repository you can find the next version of the patchset that:
* Fixes full table rewrites of catalog tables using the method Robert
  prefers (which is to log rewrite mappings to disk)
* Extract the REPLICA IDENTITY as configured with ALTER TABLE for the
  old tuple for UPDATEs and DELETEs
* Much better support for synchronous replication
* Better resource cleanup (as in we need less local WAL available)
* Lots of smaller fixes

The change around REPLICA IDENTITY is *incompatible* to older output
plugins since we now log tuples using the table's TupleDesc, not the

Robert, I'd be very grateful if you could have a look at patch 0007
implementing what we've discussed. I kept it separate to make it easier
to look at it in isolation, but I think in the end it partially should
be merged into the wal_level=logical patch.
I still think the "wide cmin/cmax" solution is more elegant and has
wider applicability, but this works as well although it's about 5 times
the code.

Comments?

[1]: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=users/andresfreund/postgres.git;a=summary
Greetings,