Re: CLUSTER FREEZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: CLUSTER FREEZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-10-25 09:13:20 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> +1 from me.  Can you think of a reason you *wouldn't* want to freeze?
> >
> > It makes content from the future appear when you start using the
> > relation in a query/session with an older snapshot. Currently CLUSTER is
> > safe against that.
>
> Eh, what?  We wouldn't freeze XIDs that don't precede RecentGlobalXmin.

Ah sorry, I thought that'd be the plan, similar to COPY FREEZE. Maybe
because I've wished for it in the past ;)

In that case I agree it should be the default. There really isn't any
reason to not to immediately freeze tuples that can be frozen according
to the xmin horizon. We don't immediately do it during normal vacuums
because it would possibly cause superflous io - but that's not the case here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services